[Stoves] Jetstream

Norman Baker ntbakerphd at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 12:53:38 CST 2024

Julien;

Good find from the history of stoves. I have a couple observations.

First, the inventor used existing thinking for how to heat a typical 2 inch
by 4 inch frame house. If the house had been super insulated, it would not
have needed the water tanks to store the heat.

I have built 3 super insulated homes and never required any more than $125
per year to heat and cool them. I have always incorporated lots of mass and
concrete floors or in call big gaudy fireplaces. When you run a stove like
the Jetstream, the total heat output needed to heat a home is considerably
less because of super insulation and the heat is simply stored in the mass.
Back in Minnesota, 2000 square foot home that was super insulated and
passive solar required $125 per year for heating and cooling.

My rule of thumb for building a super insulated home is for people to be
their own general contractor, get a few books on contracting and super
insulation read them politely and then hire professionals to build the home
the way it should be built. All three homes that I have built have cost me
10% more over standard construction but then I break even in the additional
cost at three years. No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Second, a similar kind of stove has come mostly from the permaculture
people using the same principles with lots of mass. Wikipedia has a good
article on this kind of stone called a rocket mass heater. Unfortunately,
they have not come on as far as i know been analyzed scientifically. There
is one publication that was a step in the right direction but only a small
step. This is one of those things I think Aprovecho should think about
helping a graduate student do a masters or possibly a PhD with a complete
analysis. I've only seen one of these stoves in actual operation and it
certainly did heat the home for about 24 hours on a single arm load of wood.

Norm