[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Re: Stoves Digest, Vol 162, Issue 6

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 13:09:25 CST 2024

I remember the Harrowsmith article on the Jetstream, and also the Hill
furnace.
I heard of one installation of a Jetstream outside Ottawa that had a leaking
concrete water storage tank, which was poured on-site. What happened was
that the tie wires for the forms went through the concrete and rusted out,
causing
a leak. The dealer who installed it, needless to say, had already gone
bankrupt.

You could call it a Rocket Stove, although updrafting a hot gas is not ideal
from a mixing point of view. With downdrafting of a hot gas, you get ideal
mixing.
(Buoyancy theory, or laws of hydrostatics). There's a great explanation
by Groume-Grjikailo in his 1923 book "The Flow of Gases in Furnaces"
on pages 88 - 91.
https://archive.org/details/TheFlowOfGasesInFurnaces/page/n107/mode/2up?view=theater

Downdrafting furnaces therefor have a theoretical advantage for clean
burning.
In the real world, the main issue is with startup, until a good draft gets
established.

I vaguely recall from Hill's paper that his CO numbers were not super low,
by modern standards.

Here's a recent experimental downdraft furnace that burns at 0 ppm CO
during a brief
portion of its batch burn cycle:
http://www.heatkit.com/research/2018/Stove%20Design%20Challenge/2018%20Stove%20Design%20Challenge.htm#Wittus

Cheers .............. Norbert

On Sat, Feb 24, 2024 at 1:10 PM <stoves-request at lists.bioenergylists.org>
wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
> From: Julien Winter <winter.julien at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves
>         <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
> Subject: Re: [Stoves] An Old 'Rocket Stove' from the 1970s
>
> Hi Folk;
>
> Richard Hill patented his stove in 1981.  Vertical Feed Stick Wood Fuel
> Burning Furnace System.  US Patent 4,473,351.   The patent was assigned to
> the University of Maine.
> https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/4473351
>
> Besides referencing a 1944 patent using a vertical stack of wood fuel,
> there is no reference in Hill's patent to any prior art that burned stick
> wood only at the bottom.
>
> There were attempts to commercialize the stove, and they are described in
> this Wikipedia article:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetstream_furnace
>
> The first company went bankrupt because they over-spent  their financial
> capital on North American promotion.   Howerever, the stove didn't seem to
> succeed in the long run.  I suspect that was because of their inclusion of
> a water heating system and dependence on electricity made the stove too
> complicated for the market.  Oil-fired furnaces were easier to use.
>
> If they had a natural draft, hot air furnace, history shows that they would
> have succeeded.  That was what got me and our neighbors excited about
> the Harrowsmith article (in the previous email).  In the 1970s, there were
> still a number of historic farmhouses that heated using a wood fueled
> convection furnace.  They looked like a huge octopus in the basement.  We
> had a regular schedule of taking down the flue to clean out the creosote.
> All the same, the occasional house was lost to a chimney fire.  We were
> swimming in wood fuel, and every spring we had to clear the farm fields of
> dead-falls.  We were always worried that our 150-yr-old farmhouse would
> burn down.
>
> Richard Hill's contribution to biomass combustion seems to have been
> forgotten.
>
> Cheers,
> Julien
>

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 19:02:03 -0800
> From: alex english <aenglish444 at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves
>         <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
> Subject: [Stoves] ***SPAM***  Re:  An Old 'Rocket Stove' from the
>         1970s
>
> Hi Julien,
> I worked for a stove dealer back in 81-82 and we installed one in
> eastern Ontario,  in the garage of an old brick house  with a modest heat
> storage tank in the basement, if I recall. The concept made sense but there
> were a host of problems that ended up in court. The  refractory casting in
> the base fire zone failed. It needed to be fed too often to go overnight.
> So perhaps it was a sizing issue.  Any  standard wood stove  at least
> [...]

Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders
25 Brouse Road, RR 5
Shawville Québec J0X 2Y0