[Digestion] Digestion Digest, Vol 4, Issue 2

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 18:19:03 CST 2010

Dear Doug,
green leaves are O.K. You would get about 80 to 100 litres biogas from about
1 kg green leaves. In leaves, the veins and midribs are made of lignin,
which does not get digested. These organs would remain at the bottom of the
biogas plant as undigested debris. When feeding anything into your biogas
plant, ask yourself if cattle would eat that substance. If the answer is
yes, go ahead and use it.  Dry leaves are a very poor substrate when seen
from this point of view.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 4:23 AM, Doug Seiler <dseiler at sdarc.com> wrote:

> Topic: Digestion capacity of common lawn clippings and leaves
>
> Sorry if not posting properly.
>
> I'm interested in using common grass clippings and leaves (brown, autumn
> leaves stored dry in bags) in my small (1/2 cu. Meter) continuous-fed
> backyard digester.  Do dry tree leaves digest in any meaningful way?
> What about grass clippings? Does it mater if the grass is green or dry?
> What would be a good input material to balance these things with? I have
> access to food scraps and manure.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> d. seiler
> Philadelphia, USA

> gylists.org
>
> for more information about digestion, see Beginner's Guide to Biogas
>

> End of Digestion Digest, Vol 4, Issue 2

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

*Please change my email address in your records to: adkarve at gmail.com *