[Digestion] ***SPAM*** Biomethane from cactus

rex at whitfieldfarm.co.za rex at whitfieldfarm.co.za
Fri Mar 12 09:31:07 CST 2021

Dear Paul

It is good to see that you are still very much alive and kicking!

After many years of punting biomass to biogas, I finally got traction last
year. I joined an entrepreneurial company that has lofty goals of reducing
the global CO2 emissions by 1 GTpa. Their principle focus was on using
prickly pear (Opuntia ficus indica) as the biomass of choice. I live in
South Africa where 2/3's of the country has low rainfall and this particular
plant is ideal for the job. It has one of thee highest water use
efficiencies making the requirement for rainfall and irrigation relatively
insignificant.

Effectively what we have managed to achieve is to plant these at high
density to produce in the region of 45 dry tons/ha/year. The plants are
harvested mechanically, macerated and fed to large, mixed lagoon digesters.
The digestate is separated into moist solids and liquid digestate. The
liquid is stored and irrigated to reduce plant heat stress when required.
Manure is added to the solids and composted. Compost is spread over newly
harvested fields.

The cactus is typically 8% to 10% dry solids. This means that no additional
water is required for the anaerobic digestion process. The VS are around 75%
to 80% of DS. The H2S content of the gas is <10ppm by volume. So a really
clean gas to start with.

We are growing the thornless variety at big scale. The typical commercial
unit is 1000 ha and multiples thereof. Anything smaller is not commercially
attractive. Each hectare produces approximately 400GJ/year net after
internal consumption.

The main application is for power with the use of 10MW class gas engines
that have a 50% chemical to electrical energy conversion. They also have
high volumes of exhaust in the 375oC range. In mining in particular, this
heat can be used for drying of ore concentrates.

Having said all that, the company ran into difficulties. A colleague and I
are starting an energy company that will have biomethane as a central
component. Using a mix of PV, wind, biomethane, synthetic diesel, hydrogen,
fuel cells, etc, our aim is to help mining companies in particular on their
drive to carbon neutrality.

I just thought I would let all out there know that there is life yet in the
AD world and that it can be scaled. I am looking forward to any queries. My
private email is rex(at)whitfieldfarm(dot)co(dot)za. I will endeavour to
answer all emails.

Kind regards
Rex Zietsman

On Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 09:07:56 AM EST, Paul Harris