[Gasification] Syngas on Wiki_

Viswanathan KS viswanathanks at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 09:56:38 CST 2010

Wish all members Seasons Greetings and a Happy New Year.

I started my career in 1956 as a graduate trainee in a fertilizer complex in
India making ammonium sulphate.

The complex had a water gas producing unit by gasification of coke made in
the coke oven in the complex.

The coke fines were used in a producer gas generator blown with air and the
producer gas was used for heating the coke oven.

The CO in water gas was converted to CO2 (most of it) in a water gas shift
reactor, compressed and CO2 removed in a water wash unit, the gas was
further compressed and CO removed in a scrubbing unit using cuprammonium
solution. This gas called synthesis gas  was used for making ammonia.

For me synthesis gas should have the capability of being used to synthesise
some product.