[Gasification] Syngas on Wiki_

Pannirselvam P.V pannirbr at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 12:53:15 CST 2010

Helo KEVIN

Well done  your  words  making all the points , yet need refinement at the
end  with final conclusion.Some point

Is N2 and co2  free need  only to be syngas , or  this is pure syngas  which
Greg  do not agree

Syngas can be any gas , can include producer gas , water gas .Historically
Syngas the latest , process independent as Tom correctly  conclude  that
 syngas is general one  where as the other are more specific

your truely

Dr.Pannirselvam.P.V

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Kevin <kchisholm at ca.inter.net> wrote:

>  We seem to be going around in great big circles!!
>
> Can we first define "Syngas"?
>
> I believe the term refers to "Synthesis Gas", and not "Synthetic Gas."
>
> "Synthesis Gas" can be gas of any composition which is used to synthesize a
> subsequent product. If "Synthesis Gas" is used as a fuel, it is not being
> used to synthesize a product, and is therefore not "Synthesis Gas", but
> rather is simply "Fuel Gas."
>
> "Producer Gas" is any gas produced by a "Gas Producer." GEK's Larosifiers,
> and Wellman-Galushas are all "gas producers. A Coke Oven is a "Gas Producer,
> producing "Coke Oven Gas." "Water Gas"is another "Producer Gas" produced by
> introducing steam to incandescent carbon (charcoal or coke)
>
> A "Stratified Downdraft Gasifier" produces "Producer Gas", and if the
> feedstock was wood, this "producer gas" would be "Wood Gas." They produce a
> gas that is high in tars, and while it is an excellent "Fuel Grade Gas", for
> direct burning, it has far too much tar content to be used as an "Engine
> Grade Gas." (EGG). Imbert style Gasifiers, when properly configured, as is
> the GEK, can produce a wood gas, or a producer gas, that is adequately low
> in tar content, such that it can be used for fuel in a burner, or it can be
> used as feed to an engine. If the GEK output gas was used for processing
> further to yield a different product, then it would be producing a
> "synthesis gas", and it would indeed be proper to state that it was
> producing "syngas."
>
> Thats how I see things.... am I missing something?
>
> Kevin Chisholm

P.V.PANNIRSELVAM
ASSOCIATE . PROF.
Research Group ,GPEC, Coordinator
Computer aided  Cost engineering

DEQ – Departamento de Engenharia Química
CT – Centro de Tecnologia / UFRN, Lagoa Nova – Natal/RN
Campus Universitário. CEP: 59.072-970
North East,Brazil
https://sites.google.com/a/biomassa.eq.ufrn.br/sites/
 and