[Gasification] Combustion vs. gasification

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sun Nov 28 23:34:24 CST 2010

Dear Robert
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Kana" <sinan at biomassindo.com>
To: <gasification at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2010 11:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Gasification] Combustion vs. gasification

> Good morning,
> Does anybody know any scientific comparison between combustion and
> gasification?

Combustion is the purposeful burning of a fuel, while gasification is the
conversion of a solid or liquid fuel into a fuel gas, for subsequent
combustion.

Argument is that  wood chips fired steam boilers and
> turbines are more efficient than syngas fired duel fuel diesel generators.

# "Syngas" is generally intended to mean "a gas mixture used for the
synthesis of another product." The term is often used very loosely... "wood
gas" is generally not "synthesis gas", because of contained impurities and
dilutent nitrogen. The arguement presented above is likely wrong, in that a
"syngas" would have a definite composition, and would likely permit better
combustion efficiency than would wood chips, that can vary significantly in
moisture content. Ask teh presenters of that arguement to clearly define
"efficiency", and ask them to support their claim with a technically valid
arguement.

Best wishes,

Kevin Chisholm

 Any manufacturer has gas turbines small enough to use in 2