[Gasification] more on flare design/performance

Brian D Paasch brian at indianarenewables.com
Sun Oct 17 20:20:54 CDT 2010

Hi all,

Since the Board has recently done another round of discussion on flare design, I thought I'd toss in a video on the subject. Last time we did a test run of our unit, we did a step series of increasing air injection into the base of the flare assembly. There are two things wrong with this test/demonstration. 1) I did not include a zero air into the base of the flare. The lowest tested/shown was passive air flow through the holes in the base of the flare. In hindsight, I should have dug up some tape and completely closed off the air vents in the bottom of the flare for a zero air datapoint. My bad.

2) We did not have (and we have no plans to add) a flow meter to our forced air line to the flare. So the various levels of forced are are reported in "psi", which is pretty much meaningless apart from the qualitative "more" or "less".

Here is the video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAxSvYNODI4&videos=HMEX-nkxkc8

-brian