[Gasification] Heat to enable full H20 Gasification, Digest, Vol 2, Issue 17

Thomas Reed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 08:15:37 CDT 2010

Dear Geoff and all

You are definitely on to something, the benefits of moderate amounts of water in combustion, pyrolysis and gasification of wood.

Conventional wisdom CW, says that for running vehicles the moisture content of the wood (wet basis) should be less than 20%.  (But CW doesn't specify a lower limit, since everywhere except Colorado wood will have >7% MC).

I wondered how much moisture would prevent our TLUD stoves from burning.  I first dried wood chips to 0% moisture, then added water to make samples with 5,10, ...30% moisture.  I was delighted to find that I could burn all of them in the TLUD stove, BUT the charcoal yield was 20% for bone dry wood and only 3% for 30% MC WOOD.  ObvIously, the charcoal was drying each subsequent layer in the reaction and being proportionally consumed.  Also the 30% MC stove had a very blue flame.

More generally, I believe in both pyrolysis and combustion a small amount of water vapor localizes the reaction and keeps hot hot and cold cold.  A bone dry log in a. box stove heats uo all over and can't get enough air to keep the flame localized.

I hope there will be more comments on the utility of some water in biomass combustion and pyrolysis.

Onward

Tom Reed - Pyrologist

Sent from Tom Reed's Ipad