[Gasification] Syngas Microbial Catalyst - Methane Update

phillip manske pdmanske at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 20:15:08 CDT 2011

So...

Good news

ATCC is the big repository for bacteria and they gave me research permission
to use the 'crobes they have.  These 'crobes ; p. productus and m. barkeri.
I think the permissions came with a wink and some pity.  The wink involved
the 'crobes being naturally occuring.  You can't tell the difference between
these 'crobes and the 'crobes you get from the sewer so you can use the
research 'crobes for commercial purposes and no one will know the
difference.  Just you and God.

Bad news

The process takes a honkin' bunch of water.  CO has poor water solubility.
To pass enough CO through the process for 1 MW worth of methane fuel, it
will take 500,000 gallons under 400 psi to dissolve enough CO provided the
process takes one hour.  The p. productus 'crobe is a wall clinger.  They
live attached to things and in this case, packing.  The packing will
displace water so the volume of the tanks/pods needs to be
increased proportionally.  The tanks/pods need to be packed with crobes as
much as possible.

I can't tell how long the process will take, it depends on the health and
size of the culture.

The trickle method makes lots of sense as it encompasses everything;
feeding, clearing nutrients etc

I did lots of imagineering but I don't think you want to hear about that.

Phillip