[Gasification] Which engine design might be BEST for woodgas?

GF gfwhell at aol.com
Sat Aug 13 13:40:58 CDT 2011

Greg,
You are right about the fixed load (co generation) However, I would like to build the set to handle an inconsistent load "if" the machine has to operate independently.
My experience on the last set I built, "initially operated" independently, running on natural gas and it had to deal with sudden loads which had a tendency to pull the rpm down which effected the
frequency. I corrected this problem as best I could with a governor I made, using two synchronous motors and a "differential assembly" If both motors ran at the same speed the control shaft remained stationary. One motor was connected to the output of the alternator while the other was fed from an inverter with the desired frequency. If the frequency dropped, the out put arm moved to open the throttle, if the frequency went above the inverter output,the arm moved to close the throttle. Not having automatic advance retard would have made the control of the engine less precise.
The field voltage controlling the output voltage  was electronic and automatic. All this was done in the "analogue age" .
After a 10 hour run the mains operated electric clock was only two minutes slow.

GF