[Gasification] Charcoal Reduction Mill

Jack Homerson jackhomerson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 11:50:05 CDT 2011

Hi Jeff:

I have used hammer mills, ball mills, and roller mills for size reduction of
both straw char and charcoal. In all cases the MC of the char needs to be
low enough not to make a paste (I have made this mistake before). I used a
New Holland mixer mill (hammer type), some fine dust particles escape but it
is not too bad, the most dust is created when using the unloading auger to
bag the char, this can be mitigated by tying a filter cloth around the auger
outlet.

I have used a ball mill with ceramic balls and rubber door seals, this is
pretty much dust free but I found production to be terribly low and product
sizing to be very inconsistent.

The very best I found is a roller mill. This is both fast and can be "housed
in" to easily control dust, then follow Mark's suggestions to extract the
very fine particles at the outlet. You can adjust sizing by adjusting roller
spacing, or adding another set of rollers below the first. Cheap small
roller mills can be found in the agri sector but must be modified for char
purposes.

Phil Marsh
Marshbros.
250 569-7858