[Gasification] W-Gas and P-Gas defined

James Joyce james at jamesjoyce.com.au
Sat Dec 10 23:12:52 CST 2011

Hi Tom, I am supportive of any move away from the use of the term "Syn-gas" for the products of pyrolysis and gasification.

As a chemical engineer I wince every time I hear the grab bag of chemicals resulting from pyrolysis and gasification being described with a term that was coined for mixtures primarily consisting of CO and H2, and intended for the purposes of chemical synthesis.

All it does is continue the public misconception that syn-gas from any pyrolysis or gasification process can be used to run engines and/or be compressed and stored in fuel tanks for later use. Those on this list will know that this is a long way from reality.

It might be consider as pedantic, however in my observation it is often part of a broader deception that can defraud unwitting  investors.

Regards,

James Joyce
Australia

Message: 1