[Gasification] Was: DIY GtL, Now: the odd box and the house lighting

Luke Gardner lgardner at wwest.net
Sun Feb 6 23:45:06 CST 2011

Pete,
The current prototype will run a 4kw onan, if I get 2.5 kw out of it I will be happy.  I have went to great measure to build in such a way to retain and reuse otherwise "waste heat" and to facilitate complete automation.  The last thing I want is another labor or babysitting job.   I will be building My dream house in a few years and I plan on full integration.  I have oversized the reactor purpously so it can  generate gas for heat production (hydronic) and IC operation simultaniously as need be.
how deep the rabit hole goes as far as cost?    I expect at least 10 grand hard cost, said and done.  It just depends on how nice and trouble free a guy wants to make it.
I currently burn about 7 chords of wood in an Iron woodstove a year for heat, and spend about 2 grand a year for my power.  Its allot of work making 7 chords of firewood, at bare minimum it gets handled 4 times to make it to the stove.
If I could heat my house buying cheap wood chips and in the meanwhile offset my power bill, I would be thrilled. meanwhile I would have liberated a bunch of time that I would rather spend tinkering with systems than on the dull end of a chainsaw,axe and weelborrow.
This isn't for everyone, I have loads of time into research, years,  and have a full fledge fab shop at home, and have spent decades contorting metal, the last block of it in this prototype pursuit.  Whats my time worth?
At the current energy costs the endevor doesn't make sense.  Call it an Insurance policy and it makes sense.  when is PPP? where does the path lead after that? If I'm successful I wont care. I own 60 acres of wooded lowland.
never try never do
Luke