[Gasification] ideal wood gas engine

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 21:13:46 CST 2011

Dear all,
professors from a local engineering college in our city (Pune, India)
expressed the view in the course of a discussion, that a Sterling engine was
the most efficient engine among all the engines currently available. One can
burn any available waste biomass to run it. In a steam engine, and even in
the steam turbine one loses a lot of energy in converting water into steam.
In the case of a system using biogas, methane represents only 10 to 25% of
the energy originally contained in the feedstock. In an internal combustion
engine, which uses natural gas, LPG, kerosene, diesel or petrol, the
energy spent in refining and transporting the fuels is never taken into
consideration while calculating the efficiency.
Yours
A.D.Karve
On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:32 PM, <bayent at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have several engines to chose from here for my next wood gas project.
> Going to go ahead with it and just hope the stink has settled form my
> insurance company ripping hair out of their heads. ( hope they are not on
> here.. bugger )
> Besides this is not a heating device so should not count.
> What out of the junk yard specials would be considered ideal for wood gas
> give I Only need this time to come up with 20 hp at 1,800 rpm?
> I have everything in the shop for a Mike clone.
> Spending a few bucks for the right engine is going to be real cheep just
> now.
> I am not keen on stuck valves through pistons. ( it that ever happens...
>  never mind )
>
> Regards all,
> Charles

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

*Please change my email address in your records to: adkarve at gmail.com *