[Gasification] ideal wood gas engine

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 18:52:03 CST 2011

Dear Kevin and List,
it was formerly the case that one did not know what to do with the bagasse.
I was told that in the older sugar mills the boilers were deliberately so
designed that all the bagasse generated in the campaign season would be
burned during the campaign season itself. But nowadays, they work more
efficiently, so that the leftover bagasse is used for generating electricity
which is sold to the Government owned grid. In one of the privately owned
sugar factories in my state, the owner has a steel factory right next door
to the sugar factory. He buys scrap iron and steel and turns them into steel
ingots, strips and bars. He generates his own electricity by using the steam
turbine in the sugar factory and the left over bagasse. He claims that his
steel was much cheaper than that manufactured by his competition, because he
had free electricity. Another sugar factory claimed that the profit they
made by selling the electricity was more than the profit they made by
selling the sugar.
I shall ask my acquaintances in the sugar industry why they burned wet
bagasse. Perhaps, nowadays they may be drying it. .
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Kevin <kchisholm at ca.inter.net> wrote:

>  Dear AD
>
> One very simple explanation for not drying the bagasse partially is that
> they have a gross excess of it, and it is a disposal problem. Drying it
> would cost money, improve efficiency, and result in a bigger waste bagasse
> pile.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Kevin

***