[Gasification] ideal wood gas engine

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Feb 21 20:20:38 CST 2011

AD, Kevin,

Bagasse typically runs between 45%-47% MC depending on the process in the
sugar mills I have worked with. The moisture can be surprisingly uniform.
50% MC is easily burned in the boiler. As Kevin mentioned drying is an extra
step that causes more cost and management problems than it is worth. Many
bagasse dryers were installed in the 1980s.  I think most have been
abandoned.

We dried bagasse to 15% MC to feed a gasifier for producing a gas to burn in
a gas turbine. It handles well but the end product has to be worth the
effort.

Tom Miles