[Gasification] The Enigma of Gasification

Thomas Koch TK at tke.dk
Sat Jan 1 11:42:40 CST 2011

Dear Doug

Thank you very much for your contribution.

I take the liberty to assume that part of your refelxtions and thoughts are adressed to me.

I have discussed with numerous dreamers over the last 25 years whos only objective was to put theit snouts into public funding. For this purpose gasification has been a well suited technology - huge teoretical potential and litle demonstarted results.

in 1998 I expressed my frustration about the quality of the gasification projects to a Danish public funding agency. Their ansver was that "all submitted projects had been supported - thus I could send in some better projects if I wanted to improve the quality!!!"

Over the last 15 years i have seen how the respect for control with funding for gasification disappeared. Universities copied reports (jyst changing the title) in several projects in order to get easy funding - large semipublic consulting engineering companies charged 8,5 man month for a 30 page marfket survey for biomass gasification (but the had to autofinance 50 % of their approved hourly rate of 140 EUR then selves) and at the end (my end in funding for gasification funding) it was almost accepted at the kickoff meeting that the objectives where unrealistic.
In an EU funded project where TK Energi had a major role the objective was to couple an SOFC with a biomass gasifier. After the project was approved I realised that it was virtually impossible to find an SOFC and thus i went to responsable person to discuss what to do. The was very surpricing "we know it is not possible to find an SOFC ......" and 3 years later 5 MEUR was gone with very meager technical result - but a lot of fun.

Last month i visited a union of watertreatment plants. They had decided to build an "ENERGY FACTORY" from their sludge and they wanted this to be based on sludge gasification. After 3 month investigation they had not seen one working plant but heard numerous unrealistic optimistc promises - and they where about to reach the point where they did not really believe in any information concerning gasification.

I wery fast realised that i was just one more gasifier geek all preaching that gasification is the direct way to a soft bed in heaven - but with the only difference from all the other preachers (hindus-buddist-chatolic etc)  that our prayers value of thruth would sooner or later be realised.

I still believe that gasification has a commercial future. I also believe that new innovation is needed. The economy outlined by Tom Miles in one of his posting yesterday is not commecial interesting. The technical challenges associated to tar - resudual char - bed aglomeration etc are each and on their own a kiss of the death.

In order to progess with development of thermochemical technololgy - torrefaction . pyrolysis - gasification we must be more realistic in our judgements and evaluations. Over the last 10-15 years a well justified sceptisism has developed to gasification technollogy.

My professional new year resolution is that I will only exagerate 10 % when i speak about gasification in 2011.

Best regards

Thomas Koch

If any one is interested in our thoughts about innovation of gasification technology - have a look at the frontpage of www.tke.dk - there is a picture of our entrained flow reactor 30 seconds after it was stopped.