[Gasification] A small literature review re: syngas

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Jan 26 16:38:40 CST 2011

Dear Luke
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Luke Gardner
  To: Discussion of biomass pyrolysis and gasification
  Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:59 PM
  Subject: Re: [Gasification] A small literature review re: syngas

  kevin,
  I posted earlier on this , its pretty tough to argue with a dictionary,

  # I did a Google on "Syngas Definition" and here is what I got:
  http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ldt&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&defl=en&q=define:Syngas&sa=X&ei=rJpATcCcOYjrgQe60J26BA&ved=0CBgQkAE

  # Note that the various definitions vary somewhat, depending on their source. See also
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant

  if this info is wrong please anyone call it out and site your source

  # My source for the Definitions I provided for consideration is me; I made them up. I do think that the definitions I proposed for consideration will enable a disinterested party to clearly tell if a sample of gas is Woodgas (or Wood Gas), Pyrolysis Gas, or Syngas (Either Synthesis Gas or Synthetic Gas)

  first below, you will see a definition of syn- that i pasted

  notice that "syngas" is coincidentally used as an example of how the prefix syn can be properly used in our language,  syn in front of gas as one word means synthetic gas, not synthesis gas.

  I could care less either way, I just like clarification. this seems very clear to me no matter how many peolpe are misusing this term.

  second you will see a definition of synthetic that i pasted,  the list of synonyms made me chuckle.
  pretty clear wood gas can be used as synthesis gas, but it is not synthetic gas.  See definitions below.

  # I would suggest that the lingustic derivation is not as important as would be general acceptance of what the word means.

  just wondering of all the better minds out there who agrees?  simple yea or nay would be nice to observe. i think for all.

  # Do you see problems with the definitions I proposed? If so, please feel free to propose better alternatives.

  Best wishes,

  Kevin Chisholm

  luke

  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  syn-
    a prefix occurring in loanwords from Greek, having the same function as co-  ( synthesis; synoptic ); used, with the meaning “with,” “together,” in the formation of compound words ( synsepalous ) or “synthetic” in such compounds ( syngas ).
  Use syn in a Sentence
  See images of syn
  Search syn on the Web
  Also, sy-, syl-, sym-, sys-.

  Origin:
  < Gk, comb. form repr. sýn  with, together with
  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  syn·thet·ic
     /sɪnˈθɛtɪk/  Show Spelled
  [sin-thet-ik]  Show IPA

  –adjective
  1.
  of, pertaining to, proceeding by, or involving synthesis ( opposed to analytic).
  2.
  noting or pertaining to compounds formed through a chemical process by human agency, as opposed to those of natural origin: synthetic vitamins; synthetic fiber.
  3.
  (of a language) characterized by a relatively widespread use of affixes, rather than separate words, to express syntactic relationships: Latin is a synthetic language, while English is analytic. Compare analytic ( def. 3 ) , polysynthetic ( def. 1 ) .
  4.
  Also, syn·thet·i·cal. Logic . of or pertaining to a noncontradictory proposition in which the predicate is not included in, or entailed by, the subject.
  5.
  not real or genuine; artificial; feigned: a synthetic chuckle at a poor joke.
  6.
  Jewelry .
  a.
  noting a gem mineral manufactured so as to be physically, chemically, and optically identical with the mineral as found in nature.
  b.
  (not in technical use) noting a gem mineral manufactured and pigmented in imitation of a natural gemstone of that name.
  –noun
  7.
  something made by a synthetic, or chemical, process.
  8.
  synthetics.
  a.
  substances or products made by chemical synthesis, as plastics or artificial fibers.
  b.
  the science or industry concerned with such products.
  Use synthetic in a Sentence
  See images of synthetic
  Search synthetic on the Web

  Origin:
  1690–1700;  < NL syntheticus  < Gk synthetikós,  equiv. to synthet ( ós ) placed together, verbid of syntithénai  to put together ( syn- syn-  + the-,  s. of tithénai  to put, place + -tos  verbid suffix) + -ikos -ic

  —Related forms
  syn·thet·i·cal·ly, adverb
  non·syn·thet·ic, adjective
  non·syn·thet·i·cal, adjective
  non·syn·thet·i·cal·ly, adverb
  un·syn·thet·ic, adjective
  un·syn·thet·i·cal·ly, adverb

  —Synonyms
  5.  fake, phony, counterfeit, sham.

  Dictionary.com Unabridged
  Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2011.
  Cite This Source

  Link To synthetic
  Explore the Visual Thesaurus »
  Related Words for : synthetic
  man-made, semisynthetic, synthetical, celluloid
  View more related words »

  Custom Synthesis

  Discovery and Medicinal chemistry
  Inhibitors and screening cmpounds

  www.hdhpharma.com
  Euroshield Rubber Roofing

  Recycled Eco-Friendly Roofing Replicates Slate, Shake, and Tile

  Sponsored Results
  www.euroshieldroofing.com
  World English Dictionary
        synthetic  (sɪnˈθɛtɪk)

        — adj
        1.  (of a substance or material) made artificially by chemical reaction
        2.  not genuine; insincere: synthetic compassion
        3.  polysynthetic agglutinative Compare analytic denoting languages, such as Latin, whose morphology is characterized by synthesis
        4.  philosophy
          a. (of a proposition) having a truth-value that is not determined solely by virtue of the meanings of the words, as in all men are arrogant
          b. a posteriori Compare empirical contingent

        — n
        5.  a synthetic substance or material

        [C17: from New Latin syntheticus,  from Greek sunthetikos  expert in putting together, from suntithenai  to put together; see synthesis ]

        syn'thetically

        — adv

  Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
  2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
  Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
  Cite This Source
  Word Origin & History

  synthetic

  1690s, as a term in logic, from Fr. synthétique  (17c.), from Mod.L. syntheticus , from Gk. synthetikos , from synthetos , pp. of syntithenai  (see synthesis). From 1874 in reference to products or materials made artificially by chemical synthesis; hence "artificial" (1930).
  Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
  Cite This Source