[Gasification] What happened at Choren

Thomas Koch tk at tke.dk
Sun Jul 10 13:21:45 CDT 2011

Dear Tom

I have had similar experinces - crashed with a 2,3 MWth 3 stage gasifier for all sorts of reasons.
But at the end of the day there only one whom I can blame - and that is myselves - mainly for being to enthusiastic and not carefull enough in the first 25 % of the project.

At a sales meeting arranged arranged by the Min of Foreign Affairs a (smart) salesman selling smart metering participated. He was really frustrated - he had been in this business for 7 month - seeeeeeven month - and he had not recieved one order until now!!!!!
I told him that i have been in this business for 25 years and nor recieved one oreder for one year.

Yes I send a letter to Khosla - and got an ansver from one of his assistants that did speak an other language than me. His money - his decisions.

Same thing with CHOREN - I had numerous discussions with several customers that had identified our plug feedcr as an ideal feeding device for a CHOREN plant - but at that stage they where all ready running out of enthusiasm - at least I was not happy about their answers - so nothing happend.

But - i can rest asure you that here in Denmark it is not only golddiggers that can loose commen sense and hundres on millions DKK ( 1/5 in $).
Our 2 national 2 gen bioetanol from straw projects have just been evaluated by Risoe.
INBICON - DONGs (100 % ovned by the danish state) project was evalauted to "Calculations of the economy in the IBUS concept shows that the production of bioethanol from straw would not be social welfare and economic profitability. The extended economic analysis shows a significant negative NPV for the project." (from google translate)
http://www.biopress.dk/projekter/kronologisk/5a4cbf0991b435ea988abbd69332184c
It it reported in English - but run it through Google translate and it will give the overall picture if you want to se an example of how taxmoney can off set common sense.

The interesting question is now - can we use this experince to some thing that is pointing more to the future the writing reports about failed gasification projects?

Best regards

Thomas