[Gasification] What happened at Choren

Robert Kana sinan at biomassindo.com
Sun Jul 10 14:20:07 CDT 2011

Dear Thomas, Tom and all respected members,
I am not a child, but in gasification only an infant... You,
knowledgeable people our guides and we look at you, your establishments
and your projects to foresee our future. These failed companies make us
worried. When you point out some of the failure reasons we feel some
what comfortable. In no way of our dreams we are not planning to built a
50 MW power plant. In Asia, specially in China, gasification has a very
successful track of record. Many projects are done and working well,
despite the fact the gas is not clean enough from the reactor, they just
add another ESP to clean more.
In Indonesia, the company before us, PT. Minang Jordanindo, has built
and sold more than 100 gasifiers, to be used in many different
businesses from melting chocolate to drying recycle plastic... Engineers
from the Jordanindo (They are no longer in the business, I guess they
were selling to cheap), still taking orders for smaller gasifiers, which
are built for less than $ 2000 for smaller units. And these units are
working every day, companies who bought the gasifiers, are ordering
second and third units. All these units are manually fed, controlled
with $ 20.00 worth of TC, ash/bio char is removed manually, they need
very little maintenance.
Now we are in the process of building a gasifier for export and soon to
built a gasifier for 200 Kwe. As some of the experienced members
suggested, we try to keep things very simple. But it is hard to work on
200 Kwe and larger units as manually.
Your thoughts would be appreciated, making automation to the gasifiers.
We were planning to built vital units as " Doubles". These would be
feeders for automatic loading of biomass, hopper biomass feeder
controls, ash removal system, cooling system and filtering.
Your suggestions can and will make a difference. Now a liter of diesel
fuel almost hit $ 1.00 mark, electricity is $ 0.11- 0.14 cents a Kwh,
countries like Indonesia with unlimited supply of cheap or free waste
biomass, companies are looking for alternative source of energy. We
believe for the next two years will be a boom in gasification for
thermal and electric energy. Please give your thoughts generously. We
can use all the help, since we only rely on our experiences, any help
from the experts will be carefully implemented.
Our best wishes to you all.
Regards,
Robert Kana  Biomass Energy, Indonesia