[Gasification] Sawdust in Fan TLUD

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Jun 4 11:28:11 CDT 2011

Pete,

Several compacting screw feeders have been used with gasifiers. A few are
commercially available. They do work but there is a limit to the pressure
you can withstand and the material must be uniform. Often the seal is not
reliable and dry fuel is very abrasive.

Dry wood is about 10 lb/ft3 (160 kg/m3). A bulk density of about 16 lb/ft3
(256 kg/m3) provides very nice porosity in gasifiers and combustors for a
densified product. Low density cubes or pellets break up nicely on grates
and in fluidized beds. Modern wood pellets are typically 35-40 lb/ft3
(560-640 kg/m3).

To get to a bulk density of 16 lb/ft3 (256 kg/m3) you need to put about
50-75 kWhe/tonne of product on the auger.

Tom