[Gasification] OT, now, Boat pulls easier than Cart?

GF gfwhell at aol.com
Thu May 26 17:54:23 CDT 2011

There is of course greater friction when moving an object through  fluids of  greater density, However a boat, sitting in a fluid at rest, will move, if pushed by even the slightest force. This would also apply if ball bearings were perfectly round. because their surfaces would not touch the race,due to the principle that it is impossible for a perfect sphere to touch a perfectly smooth surface as the point of contact is infinite.
Having said that. one early morning I happened upon a moored 100 ton barge loaded with coal floating in the canal  which had a looking glass surface, the mooring ropes were limp, the barge was totally at rest as was the air and the water surrounding it. I applied force with my little finger not more than 1lb. to see if it would move, nothing happened at first but then the barge began to move in the direction it was being pushed, I just cannot see a vehicle other than a vessel moving with such a small force being applied.

GF