[Gasification] [Digestion] Karve connecting Biochar and Biogas

David david at h4c.org
Sun Oct 9 19:02:26 CDT 2011

GF, all,

On 10/8/2011 8:42 PM, GF wrote:
> [...] I am not sure your recommendation of vacuuming the CO2  would
> improve the speed of the yield. I thought when molecules are
> squeezed together they get more reactive so a CO2 atmosphere under
> pressure bearing down on the brew would help some what. But then if
> the pressure was suddenly released, the yeast could get an attack of
> the Bends.

I can't say with any authority with regard to producing alcohol, but
with regard to biogas-- which is where the thread started-- I might
mention that in a paper titled "Gas Evacuation Effect on the Quantity
of Gas Production in a Biogas Digester", Okoroigwe and Agbo, using a
digester that apparently held the generated biogas under pressure as
its storage method, wrote that:

        In this study, the effect of the rate of gas evacuation on
        total gas yield was investigated experimentally...

        Conclusions:

        Gas yield is higher for multiple evacuations per day than in
        single evacuation. This is attributed to the activities ofthe
        active microbes, which are enhanced as the biogas is removed
        from the digester.

It would seem that, surely almost universally with biologic processes,
whatever is produced acts as a toxin to the producing process, and
thus where the products accumulate, the producing process is
eventually poisoned by its own "wastes". Therefore it stands to reason
that when those products are removed-- whether because the wastes are
used as an energy source by some organism at a different trophic level
or by natural processes such as the release of product gases-- the
biologic process is enabled to continue.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/