[Gasification] coal gasification, where did the hydrogen come from?

Tasliman emtaz2010 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 23:52:34 CST 2012

Dear list
I must write a brief explanation about biomass and coal gasification. I
am confused when I must explain hydrogen production from gasification. I
can understand quite well about biomass gasification, because biomass
contains H in their chains. But I still have no idea when many authors
wrote about producing Hydrogen from coal.

AFAIK coal is mainly carbon, but many wrote this reaction, concerning
*oxygen gasification*

C + O2 --> CO2
C + 1/2 O2 --> CO
H + 1/2 O2 --> H2O

my question is where does the *hydrogen* in that reaction come from if
it is not a steam gasification?
Or it should be a steam gasification ?

Thank you,
Tasliman