[Gasification] Hazardous classification of MSW, plasma gasification thermodynamics

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Feb 12 10:11:15 CST 2012

Not all plasma systems are identical so it's not necessarily correct to think of plasma gasification as an environment of intense heat. Systems like those promoted by AlterNRG/Westinghouse maintain intense temperatures in the ash bed but the gases must travel up through a cooler pile of pyrolyzing fuel in which many of the inorganic components would condense. The top of the fuel pile looks like any other updraft gasifier except that by using the plasma to maintain the process (3% of heat input) you use less air. There are waste plasma gasifier coupled to boilers in Japan.

Tom