[Gasification] Gasification Digest, Vol 17, Issue 10Re: anaerobicc digester gas for IC engine

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 20:12:39 CST 2012

Dear Jeff,
the flesh of the pumpkin consists of sugars and starch. The seeds are also
digestible, having starch, protein and fats. So pumpkins should work as
feedstock for generating biogas. You may have to shred it or pulp it.
Before using anything as feedstock, one should ask a simple question,
"would an animal eat it ?".If the answer is "yes", one can use it as
feedstock. Bones are an exception.
About two years ago, I helped a building contractor friend of mine in
Montana State constructing a biogas plant having a digester of 5000
litres. We used two plastic water tanks, purchased from a local building
material shop. It was an indoor biogas plant. My friend put a hot water
pipe at the base of the digester. It was bent in a circle and it was
connected to the hot water system of the household. It is still
working, even in winter. It is however not in regular use but serves only
as a demonstration.
Yours
A.D.Karve
On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Jeff Davis <jeff0124 at velocity.net> wrote:

> Dear Dr. Karve,
>

> I can grow a large quantity of pumpkins on my small garden farm. Any
> idea how well pumpkins would work for digester feed stock?
>
> Maybe this summer I could record my specific pumpkin production.
>
> Small digesters do not work well in my cold climate but maybe a small
> indoor digester would be more feasible.
>
> Regards,
>

> Jeff
>

> On Sat, 2012-01-21 at 12:08 +0800, Anand Karve wrote:
> > Food waste generates about 600 to 700 litres biogas per kg dry weight.

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)