[Gasification] sexy steam

Bob Stuart bobstuart at sasktel.net
Mon Feb 4 17:48:08 CST 2013

The notion of running a steam engine in conjunction with Internal
Combustion comes up frequently.  Usually, there are two problems.
One is that the scheme produces low-pressure steam, so it is barely
worth the effort.  The other is that it seldom produces much steam
for one very simple reason.  Look at an old steam locomotive.  Big
Firebox, Huge Boiler, Tiny Cylinders.  It takes about 11 sq ft. of
boiler tube area per HP, with a dedicated fire.

Bob Stuart