[Gasification] Effect of Moisture Content on Gasification Efficiency in D...

thomas reed tombreed2009 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 15:55:45 CDT 2014

Gasification:

Surprisingly, it is possibly for wood to be TOO DRY for some applications.

In a box (Franklin) stove, wood normally burns at a constant rate,
consuming the incoming air in the first wood encountered.

However, if it is bone dry, the whole log heats up and pyrolyses in the
first few minutes of operation.

10% moisture is sufficient to ensure that the log/logs burn in the
cigarette mode, starting at the end closest to air entry, and proceeding
along the log in an orderly fashion.

I can imagine that in the TLUD stove, particularly with pellets, too dry a
fuel could cause the reaction zone to advance along the easiest thermal
path, resulting in an unstable flame front.

It seems counterintuitive to think wood can be TOO DRY, but this is at
least one case....

COMMENTS?

TOM REED (on his new CHROME laptop)...

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Jeff Coleman <jeff.coleman at iccgroup.ca>wrote:

> Hi all (first reply),
>

> GFWHELL - If you were referring to the Ultimate Analysis table, you'll
> need to shift all of the numbers in the right columns down one row.
>
> There must have been a mistake when converting the file to pdf.
>
> Also, the Proximate and Ultimate analysis are of the fuel, not the process
> gas. This is why Nitrogen levels are not high - they aren't affected by the
> gasification air at this stage.
>

> Hope this helps - interesting none the less!
>

> Thanks,
>
> *Jeff*

NOTE:  PLEASE CHANGE MY ADDRESS TO TOMBREED2010 at GMAIL.COM

Dr. Thomas B. Reed
The Biomass Energy Foundation
BEF, BEC, BER