[Gasification] Fwd: RE: Whole log pyrolysis for char production was Re: W...

Dick Gallien dickgallien at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 12:10:29 CST 2014

Committing to ones only source of heat, especially when it is -20 F, as it
is at this moment, in the "banana belt" of Mn. compared with Greg and
others, is similar to getting married.  Once the decision is made, it is
cheaper to quit looking at other models.  And so, 20+ yrs. ago, B.G.
(Before Google),  I bought a Heatmor (OWB).  Then for a 40'X 60' insulated
steel building, an Aqua Therm, which is basically a barrel stove,
surrounded by a barrel of water and most now know a fire surrounded by
water can't get hot enough to burn efficiently, so are smokey monsters that
have been banned by many communities---but they are still being built.

Thanks to Jeff Davis mentioning Nature's Comfort making a down draft OWB.
In that I divorced the Heatmore after 14 years and the Aqua Therm is
leaking, (I bought both of them "naked", without an insulated shed or
cover, because I wanted to see how they were put together.  Heatmore had
trouble with their ash auger, so put an insulated shed on when they changed
their design and little heat is radiated from the naked Aqua Therm inside
the building, in that the water temp in only about 160, but have heat in
the floor and through a 4"X4"X8" heat exchanger it heats hot water for
pressure washing waste food barrels that we collect hog food in),  I
Googled "Central Boiler" Greenbush, Mn.. Can see how their efficient down
draft series work, but they still keep building and selling the smokey
monsters to those that don't know any better.

Dick Gallien
22501 East Burns Valley Road
Winona  MN  55987
dickgallien at gmail.com  [507]454-3126