[Gasification] Coal Gasification

hugh hugh at austrop.org.au
Sat May 30 04:54:29 CDT 2015

Not when I was a youngster (I used to haunt gasworks as a 'young
scientist'  - every large town in E Australia had one). - Strictly
'destructive distillation' of coal - with just enough air to keep the
process going ... no steam that I was aware of.. (producer gas) - lots
of phenols and other aromatics - and it was all passed through iron
oxide to remove sulphur.  Remains were coke - (clinker) which still had
a lot of carbon - used for heating fuel and for industry - steel making
(hence coking ovens for steelworks - most of the gas from those I think
was wasted).

Hugh (the smell lingers..)