[Gasification] Coconut Charcoal

Peter Davies idgasifier at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 16:25:53 CDT 2015

Hi Angie,

 From my notes you will have around 50 tonnes of shell. Probably the
quickest and easiest would be to build a deep cone Kon Tiki kiln
http://www.ithaka-institut.org/en/ct/101 where there is a link to a
presentation on the technology.

Below is an image of coconut char produced from one of our small round
hearth downdraft gasifiers optimised for both char and clean gas. This
is a from a pilot unit in the Pacific Islands undergoing trials. The
image is taken from the front with the char bin door removed, the top
(narrowest point) of the char column is the entry below the gasifier.

The unit gives around a 15% recovery on a dry basis, fixed carbon is
 >85%. The coconut shell is crushed to average piece sizes of 30mm
before feeding to the gasifier.

All the best with your project.

Peter

--