[Gasification] 500 kW Gasifier concept

Arnt Karlsen arnt at iaksess.no
Wed Feb 3 13:02:57 CST 2016

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 21:48:12 +0000, James wrote in message
<96fa96f60a134996b696513ae114466d at PEN-MBX-01.exchangeserver.net.au>:

> Hello list. I have been asked to design a 500 kW heat gasifier, for
> operation on damp nut shell charcoal.

..made how?

> They are using the heat from
> the producer gas burner to heat water, so I have the luxury of using
> a water jacket to keep the barrel cool.

..don't.  Use that annular empty space to preheat the air it needs, or
fill it with e.g. ash to insulate the combustion asd reduction zones,
you wanna use that heat to make "clean" gas, not tar etc vapors. ;o)

> Presuming the attachment gets through, any comments on the viability
> of this rather simple downdraft design ?

..what do you mean by (4") "10S" in your gas pipe???

..stainless steels, titanium etc depends on their surface oxides
to remain "stainless", in hot dusty reducing environwents like in
a gasifier outlet pipes, these fancy expensive alloys "corrode"
crazy much faster than cheap mild steels.

> Has anyone down a similar unit ?

..yup, but a bit smaller, ~200-300kWth, sized for 75kWe on wood and MSW.

> Given the down-draft design it can be run as a batch fuelled unit or
> semi-continuous fulling. The end user wants to be able to run 24
> hours/day 6 days a week at rates from 50 to 500 kW heat output. They
> will be drawing the gas out to a burner tube using a suction fan on
> the cool side of a fin tube heat exchanger.
>
> If it works well for heat, then further down the track they will look
> to pull some of the producer gas off to cooler/filter and into a
> small diesel engine generator as a co-fuel.

..my _guess_ is the Källe generator will work on your clients
damp nut shell charcoal if it is indeed tar free, you should
be able to research and simply scale up the Källe generator.
http://gasifiers.bioenergylists.org/taxonomy/term/69
http://gasifiers.bioenergylists.org/kallegas
http://www.hotel.ymex.net/~s-20222/gengas/kg_eng.html

..ofcourse, this will not work if you do have tars in your charcoal.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: