[Gasification] Producer Gas issues in a baking oven

James Joyce james at jamesjoyce.com.au
Thu Feb 25 21:19:11 CST 2016

Hi Srinivas

We run updraft gasifiers for similar duties.  You will be having an issue with your air/fuel ratio. The appropriate ratio for ignition can vary widely and ignition can even become impossible if the gas is allowed to cool significantly. For that reason the only way to ensure ignition is to ignite it immediately in exit from the gasifier and supply enough air to keep it burning. That means your piping from the gasifier to the burner will experience temperatures in the region of 600 - 1300 deg C (preferably under 1000 deg C controlled by means of air:fuel ratio). That means you want short piping and in most cases you need to actively cool the pipe with water or air so that it is not destroyed by the heat. If you use air cooling, that air can be used in your oven.

When you do this you never have to worry about tars, because they are fully combusted. You also don't need to worry about having an actual a burner head.  See 45 seconds into the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h3B3APYefs

Allowing the gases from an updraft gasifier to cool is asking for choked off-gas piping. Throughout history this experience has been had many many times.

Regards,

James