[Greenbuilding] ERV strategy

elitalking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Sun Oct 24 20:59:24 CDT 2010

I am getting ready to install my first ERV as my house step by step gets tighter.  It is next on my list of steps before I seal the deal (my occupied house).  I have been reviewing last month's thread regarding ERV's.

I am still a little confused regarding the dehumidification affect of ERV's.

Steven Tjiang writes:

A running ERV will still remove moisture from a house, just not as fast as an HRV or an exhaust fan.  ERVs slow down the increase in humidity in a well sealed house when the exterior humidity exceeds that of the interior; and decrease in humidity when interior humidity exceeds that of the exterior.

My comments:

Dehumidifying is primarily a benefit in the summer.  We night flush our house in the summer.  Night times have a much higher relative humidity as cool air holds less water.  During the day when outdoor air temperature rises, the outside relative humidity goes down.  However, we close up the windows to ventilation during the day which does for the most part keep the house cooler.  However, the relative humidity is higher than the outside air.  If outdoor air is cooled to indoor temperature, such as an ERV or HRV, it will have a higher relative humidity.  These ERV's are transferring real latent energy (water vapor) and not just relative humidity.  If you mechanically cool your house (AC), the air is cooled to below dew point when vapor condenses and physically drains away.  At that point it has 100% relative humidity.  However, the heat of house you are cooling heats that air which reduces the relative humidity to achieve comfort.  A dehumidifier reheats the air directly at the unit with the compressor heat.  Therefore the indoor air is literally dryer in # vapor/unit volume, not just relative humidity affected by air temperature.  Then that actually dryer indoor air regardless of temperature can dry the incoming fresh air by latent transfer.  However, if the air has not gone through a process of cooling to dew point where the water can be physically removed from the air, the cooler high relative humidity indoor air being exhausted will cool the hotter outside air to a higher relative humidity.  Without an AC or dehumidifier process removing the water from the air, can an ERV reduce humidity?  Does it require a vapor condensing equipment to dry the interior air to dry the exterior fresh air? If not, does it have any advantages over a HRV where no latent transfers occur?