[Greenbuilding] detailed (older) article on double-wall .77 ach50 house

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 1 23:06:58 CDT 2011

Good question - nice link. I'm still curious about roof assemblies. CMHC
here did a practical study a number of years ago on vented unvented roof
assemblies and the determining factor for condensation was air leakage from
the interior. I'm basically detailing unvented roofs with pretty stringent
air barriers but using materials that will allow drying to the interior -
pretty similar to exterior walls.

I don't like the exterior wall material in this house. I have sheathing
(standard ext. Ply) taped at all seams  with vb tape but also use a wrap - I
think a little redundancy is a good idea. I like the 2x4 frame as that is
what I typically use and if laid out properly can save a few trees. This
place seems to use a lot of lumber though and probably more than he
intended. A prefab truss manufacture for both walls and roof might have
worked better with less lumber - but then builders in NA are generally
framers.

John