[Greenbuilding] detailed (older) article on double-wall .77 ach50 house

jfstraube jfstraube at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 23:29:04 CDT 2011

There is no doubt that an unvented roof can work in a cold climate, but it requires exceptional airtightness. In practise, the most reliable way to get airtightness in such roofs is with spray foam.
Depending on how lucky you feel, a densepack roof can work.  It often does even in cold climates like Maine.  But such roofs also fail pretty often.  So the question is not "is this house working", the question should be "What percentage of roofs built this way will work".  In our experience, and that of other forensic consultants, an unvented densepack roof fails too often to be recommended.
This is an on-going debate between people who sell densepack cellulose and those who build on one side, and those who respond to building failures and building science on the other side.
I just got back from California, a pretty warm climate, and spoke to the repair contractor of yet another densepack roof with water dripping out after the first winter: small cracks and openings around beam shrinkage and partition wall penetrations were enough to cause the very small air leaks required to cause this.  I can think of 3 other densepack roofs in sunny California with this problem, and countless in the cold northwest.  It is important to recognize that a blower door wont indentify these air leaks, as air flow from inside, through the roof back to the inside, and the exterior roof could be, and often is, perfectly airtight.

Check out BSI-043 on buildingscience.com for more.