[Greenbuilding] Counters

Steve Houlihan sho11 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 27 18:23:21 CDT 2011

I have build many tile countertops in my career.  I have built mortar
beds, used Durock, Hardibacker and Wonderboard and set tile directly on
plywood.  without exception every tile install I did over plywood
failed!  I very strongly discourage this idea! Eventually the grout
cracks and water gets down into the plywood and it swells and destroys
the countertop.

In the beginning you said you wanted to do tile and that will still be
the easiest and cheapest.  If you stay away from the very hard porcelain
or vitrified tiles you should have no problem cutting tiles with a snap
cutter or a carborundum grit blade in a jig saw.

My preference for tile counters is to put down a layer of 1/2 inch
Hardibacker Board using lots of screws and a layer of thin-set then set
the tiles on top of this again using thinset.  This makes a very strong
and long lasting countertop.  I have set tile directly on good sheetrock
walls for a backsplash and this works well as long as the house doesn't
move too much. Some re-caulking at the junction of the backsplash and
countertop may be needed.  I have also used 1/4 inch backerboard on
backsplashes.  Then you can use thinset and fiberglass mesh tape at the
joint but you have to deal with the 1/4 inch edge at the top.

Steve