[Greenbuilding] low flow shower heads

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Fri May 13 00:06:37 CDT 2011

They probably won't wow the unit owners one little bit, but it's one one of
those things they will eventually have to get used to - like airport
security. Essentially, a drenching shower and low flow are a contradiction
in terms and it is possible to spend quite a lot of money to find this out.
I suspected this is because the "drenching rain" setting can only be
achieved by aerating the water, and is hence doomed from the start.  They
usually rely on high pressure small jets, "needles" to give the impression
they are doing the job.

However, a client recently amazed me by declaring complete satisfaction with
a large round unit that looks old and-fashioned and feels it too. This is
the Dorf "Tiber" series, 150 to 250mm. The 150 is local WELS-rated three
star, which is about 2.25 US gal/min and the larger ones are 2-star, about 3
US gal/min. The price doesn't amaze me - $300 -$420.

http://www.dorf.com.au/product-ranges/showers/tiber

So, apparently it can be done, and you may find a local equivalent!

 I have not tried it myself.

The location of your demonstration might not be the best choice. If the
showers you allude to run hot water and the pool house is remote from the
heater, be prepared for complaints about the time taken for the hot to get
through. Be prepared for this even if the heater is close.....

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW