[Greenbuilding] Battery charger--works on standard Alkaline

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 13:56:22 CST 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Bob Waldrop <bwaldrop at cox.net> wrote:

> So I’ll be interested in a first person account from someone on this group
> before I buy.

I'm always interested in developments of this sort, but I have to ask:
Why would we want to go down this road at all?

If you can charge a high quality NiMH AA even only 30 times (and the claims
are of course orders of magnitude higher) at ~$2.50-$3.00 per battery, what
economic argument is there for attempting to recharge alkaline batteries,
given the statistically-significant-appearing risks (each successive charge
of an alkaline seems to hold less well, leaking, etc.)?
I realize alkalines are cheaper to buy, but I would be surprised if with
this charger and a set of, say, four new alkaline AAs you'd come out ahead
on any front when compared to four of  today's NiMH, whether on
performance, charge, cost per mAh, etc.

Happy to be shown that I'm missing something, but this is how it looks to
me.