[Greenbuilding] Growing food by electeric light - urban sustainability?

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Mon Jun 11 09:13:23 CDT 2012

>> Yes, but there's more to nutrition than calories...
>>

> Sure there is.  But I am not sure how that affects the question of whether
> to grow food inside under lights, or not.  Do you have some insights on
> that question?

Corwyn-

I may be stating the obvious, but the notion was based on this:  that if
one was going to use artificial light to grow crops, then it would make
sense from an energy use point of view, to grow crops with the highest
nutritional value--and highest value per unit of area required--which might
not be simply the highest caloric value.

IOW's, it's not to question the purpose or value of the analysis--only the
metric.  I find the idea intriguing--in spite of living in a modest
apartment, with a spouse who would not take kindly with pulling up the
carpet in the den, and replacing it with potting soil.

AA