[Greenbuilding] Air-heated slabs

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Sat May 19 13:30:17 CDT 2012

some thoughts:

a well insulated slab in a well insulated house (waddever that might be)
will be room temperature-ie, reasonably comfortable all by itself.

conversely, to do a heated slab in a well insulated house means that the
slab could not be heated too much to begin with, without overheating the
space--given its typical area relative to the envelope.

further--given that modulating the temp of a slab--to respond to sudden
changes, say, in ambient conditions--or a lot of cooking for a house party,
etc-- is a sluggish affair with any radiant floor system--not to mention
the risk of contamination in ducts that cannot be accessed without a 90#
pavement breaker--I'd forgo the radiant floor and lay floating cork over
the slab (which is as comfortable a floor you can have, IMO), and pocket
the difference.

AA