[Greenbuilding] Water Barrier

Eli Talking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Thu Feb 28 14:55:53 CST 2013

I am proposing a wall assembly of siding nailed to 2x3 furring strips over 6" continuous eps over 7/16" sheathing over 2x framing left hollow.  John Straub expressed concern about the water barrier.  Coming from John Straub, I am concerned.   My questions regarding water protection is contained in message below.

Though multiple vapor barriers may pose a threat of trapping moisture through imperfections, I do not see the same threat with multiple air barriers, all allowing vapor to pass if any air barrier is flawed.  For the most part, I like thick foam as an air barrier  or a vapor barrier because it is warmer on the warm side, reducing the threat of condensation.

Eli