[Greenbuilding] fertilizer from human waste

Eli Talking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Sun Jan 20 17:43:52 CST 2013

I am glad to see a process whereby the culture can relate to the benefit of restoring a nutrient cycle for the human animals.  It is so counter to nature to extract one time use resources, grow food, eat,digest, excrete and then treat and dump, requiring more extraction  of virgin material to compensate for the nutrient dump.

I think this could be done more simply as Corwyn suggest.  Creating a culture of nutrient cycling is a task to be achieved.  If this highly processed material described creates openness to that paradigm, it is a big improvement. That said, innovation and cultural openness is needed to develop low energy aerobic practices that can be applied on a metropolis scale.

I have been using chickens to fertilize my garden, mostly from grazing.  I can tell you the quantity and quality of vegetables is noticeably improved. I suppose it is fresh manure while they are grazing, but not by the time I plant there.  I do create a nutrient cycle by growing food on that grazed land that we humans eat and give the chickens the leftovers, along with our other kitchen scraps that is recovered through the chickens as eggs and meat.

Nutrient cycles allow for overall maintenance and improvement of total amount of life.

Eli