[Greenbuilding] glass panels as porch roof?

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Fri May 2 07:41:21 CDT 2014

I was able to order the rest of the panels I needed from the local glass
supplier in a custom size  (7) 40"x53" for $600. Not dumpster dived, but
all things considered I felt it worked out o.k.
One question. For those of you with glass porches, do you do anything to
shade them in the summer? I will admit I don't think I've ever sat on a
glass covered porch, though I've sat in what I would call a sunroom (I
suppose this would be the enclosed variant). Nick Pine can tell us all
about the heat gain from this, I'm sure.
Anyway, it occurred to me that perhaps a retractable shade could work for
the few days a year it gets over 90F. But of course this comes with its own
set of mechanical challenges.
Thoughts?