[Greenbuilding] glass panels as porch roof?

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Mon May 5 20:00:00 CDT 2014

Hi, Reuben--

On a sunny day a glass roof may overheat the porch and may cause some glare, so shading will definitely improve comfort and utility. I think the simplest solution is to buy shade cloth cut and hemmed to fit, and have grommets installed along the edges that can be fastened over hooks on the glass frame. Works fine if the shade cloth is to stay in place all summer.

Reuben, if you will permit me, you probably know but just to make sure--I would like to encourage you to set the glass panels in gaskets or flexible blocks that would hold securely, yet allow the glass to expand and contract with temperature changes. With big panels it's a significant issue, because if the glass expands in a frame that can't flex and causes pressure on along its edges, it might fracture. If you look at a cross-section of a commercial glazing system you can see elastic gaskets between the glass and frame.

Retractables sound great, I haven't had experience with them.

Best,

Mike

Mike O'Brien Photography
mikeoregon.zenfolio.com