[Greenbuilding] insulating beneath an existing floor.

Sacie Lambertson sacie.lambertson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 22:58:45 CDT 2015

What is the best way to insulate the floors of an old house that sits on a
30 inch limestone foundation wall?  The wall, solid since 1883, needs to
continue to 'breathe'.  Limestone such as is used for the foundation is
similar to that used in old barns; the stone will last a very long time as
long as it does not have dirt behind it, ie as long as it is free
standing.  We've had personal experience with this when we used old barn
foundation stone to build rock walls behind which is dirt.  They began to
deteriorate relatively fast.

Most of the interior of the old house will be nearly gutted, leaving only
the the exterior siding, which is also original amazingly enough, as is
essentially the interior.  The old yellow pine floors will be retained but
must be insulated underneath.

The house will be reconstructed with double passiv haus type walls.

Thanks for your advice,  Sacie