[Greenbuilding] insulating beneath an existing floor.

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 29 23:28:52 CDT 2015

Sounds beautiful.  I would also consider or briefly look at what isolating the crawlspace from the ‘conditioned’ space would mean for freeze/thaw on the lime mortared stone. Should be fine as lime is more forgiving and as you say it works for barns. Have they been repointed with cement at all?

Well passiv type walls means a passiv type floor – r30-50. I would go eps foam board laboriously cut to fit and sealed (6-10”).  Its your moisture barrier but still can take in moisture and releases it – generally in decent moisture balance with the wood its in contact with (depending on dimension). Downside is the occasional critter chewing in but they have to live somewhere and generally find somewhere better. The alternative is rockwool even more laboriously cut and fitted and patched in and then supported but still subsequently falling out as it loses its rigidity or critters push it aside – plus the folmaldehyde.

Spray foam ....possibly....but be careful on that one lots of problems on improperly proportioned mixes...

Ventilation of the space especially if spray foamed.