[Greenbuilding] Insulating brick unframed envelopes

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Mon Mar 16 11:19:20 CDT 2015

thorny question, with vast variables--foremost, the composition and
porosity of the bricks and of the mortar. plus, an understanding of
freeze-thaw cycles and rainfall.

here's the risk--consider a typical late 19th/early 20th century row
house---load brg masonry with a big radiator under the front windows--the
assumption is that heat loss through the wall prevents or retards freezing.
If freezing occurs in saturated mortar, its expansion pops the face of the
brick off (exposing the brick's more porous innards, etc)

It may be less of a factor in walls with pre-portland based mortar--the
vintage lime based mortar had a somewhat plastic nature--then again, some
of that housing stock had very thin mortar joints, which could diminish
this resilience.

I don't know how to work around this risk, but one approach would be to
analyze the entire wall area for heat loss. given that vintage row houses
often have a very high ratio of glass to opaque wall area, it may likely
produce greater net reduction of heat loss to go with higher performance
fenestration. (I can hear the collective gasp of the preservationistas)

WRT to the bonus question--I would not minimize the porosity of party
walls--which typically appear as though they were laid up with the clinkers
and broken bricks, probably using inferior or dried out and re-wetted
mortar--and executed by the hod carrier, instead of the master mason who
was doing the showy stuff in front. So there is an issue with vapor
migration that would come into play in summer, if the neighbor's home were
not conditioned.

plus, the two feet or so of party wall that intersect the roof and end
walls function as thermal bridges--so insulating those regions could be
beneficial--with somewhat less risk as described above. as the tops of
party walls terminate in parapets, they are already subject to
wetting/freezing/thawing...

AA

Alan Abrams

*certified professional building designer, AIBDcertified passive house
consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
HELICON WORKS *Achitecture and Education*
<http://www.heliconworks.com/index2.html>