[Greenbuilding] Super-efficient school buildings

John Daglish johndaglish at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:37:11 CDT 2015

An example of Passivhaus schools with  timber structure and mostly
eco-friendly materials from England.

2 new build primary schools by the architects Architype for the same BUDGET
than a less efficient Building Regulation (low thermal performance)
standard school.

http://www.passivehouse-international.org/download.php?cms=1&file=2012-01Hines_SustainMag.pdf

video présentation - very good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MffKNX5qlLw&feature=player_embedded&noredirect=1#
!

Quality circle - BSRIA soft landings
http://www.bsria.co.uk/services/design/soft-landings/

The advice regarding climate, regs,etc and  oversized sports areas,
oversized car parks and oversized schools is pertinan also

Regards

John Daglish
Paris, France

> [...]
>>> (such as the size and # of students to plan for, the design features that
>>> we hope will be incorporated, etc.), along with considering how much money
>>> we can reasonable expect the community to support in terms of bond
>>> financing for the project.
>>>
>>> In addition to wanting to achieve the educational goals of this new
>>> school, I have a particular interest in seeing that any new
>>> buildings that we construct, including public buildings, be built to very
>>> high standards of energy efficiency and with sustainable materials where
>>> possible.
>>>
>>> On the committee, I expect to be regularly raising the benefits of
>>> investing in energy efficiency up front, when the greatest gains can be had
>>> for the least dollars, relative to either spending way more for energy
>>> costs in operating the school over the course of the next 60+ years, or
>>> spending way more to retrofit in energy efficiency in later.
>>>
>>> I'm curious if you have any particular suggestions for what the district
>>> should prioritize in terms of energy efficiency features and construction
>>> requirements.  I would think that the ordering would be roughly similar to
>>> how one prioritizes for residential construction, with a primary focus on
>>> the longest lasting components and those hardest to change later, such as
>>> the building envelope and insulation models, air tightness and ventilation
>>> system, and highly efficient heating/cooling systems, lighting fixtures,
>>> etc.  I would also think that this would be a good time to invest in
>>> renewable energy systems like solar PV, which is at a very low price point,
>>> and that a bare minimum would be to pre-wire for solar. In Oregon, I
>>> believe there is a state mandated requirement that 1.5% of a project budget
>>> be allocated towards renewable energy systems.
>>>
>>> I would love to see the school built with a high-R-value wall system,
>>> using either a significant amount of exterior rigid foam insulation or
>>> double-stud walls, or both.  I remodeled my own house to have 9"
>>> double-stud walls filled with dense-pack cellulose and 4" of polyiso rigid
>>> foam exterior insulation, with similar (or greater R-value) assemblies
>>> under the house and in the roof.
>>>
>>> In residential construction, I take inspiration from the Passive House
>>> standard, focusing on super insulation and very strict air tightness
>>> standards.  I think the same general principles should apply for school
>>> facilities, but I do have questions around how the ventilation requirements
>>> should differ, given the much greater human occupancy.  Obviously the
>>> ventilation rates need to provide for adequate fresh air intake, but I'm
>>> curious as to the health/wellness concerns when you frequently have many
>>> sick kids inhabiting the same space as healthy kids, and how that level of
>>> ventilation affects HRV/ERV designs and capacities and the benefits of air
>>> tightness.
>>>
>>> I would welcome any ideas on construction of super-efficient school

>>> 2) wall, roof, and floor assemblies
>>> 3) ventilation designs and practices
>>> 4) incorporation of renewables